Internet trolls’ psychology. Yep, it’s a thing. Think Allstate’s mayhem guy – hear that laugh at the end? Trolls can make us miserable. Worried. Even scared. What’s a gal or guy to do? (Wouldn’t it be great to make them go away? But how?)
First off: How to I assess an influence tactic?
Who’s the ‘target’ of my influence effort?
What do they want?
What do they not want?
What do I want?
What are three ways I can turn the outcome to my favor?
What principles apply to the situation?
When the message board got ugly and it was snowballing. When a client is suffering, like any good coach, it’s time to jump into action.
Today’s post welcoming us to a seminar at the Swedish Development Agency on gender based violence online (in SWEDEN? Really?!) makes addressing this pervasive modern plague all the more urgent. Think strategy.
Up Next: xxxxx
Don’t Feed the Trolls: xxxxx
First question: What do online trolls, bullies & harsh commenters WANT, anyway?
They want attention. They want to keep the back & forth going — for hours, days or even longer. The more visible you are, the longer they want to be the center of your world. When you’re miserable, they feel better.
It’s cat and mouse — don’t be the mouse that comes back. But how do you avoid being the bate? Here’s how.
- You know the harsh commenter is #weak. #fragile
- You know behind the false front of aggression lies intolerable fear and anger. That’s miserable and the vast majority of people will do anything they can to get it off of themselves.
- They want that put on any available target — so it’s not about you. It’s about them.
- The harsh commenter knows success is at hand when they make you as miserable as they were feeling.
- Ignore the harsh commenter(s)
- Private message your online allies
- Ask them to do just THREE things
- #1, Jump online with you NOW
- #2, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore the harsh commenters. The harsh commenter is persona non grata. STARVE HARSH-COMMENTER of the jet fuel every .
- NO MATTER WHAT, SMILE & IGNORE ANY POST BY THE HARSH COMMENTER. You’ve got this!
- #3, Support, Support, Support YOU, your Post. Say good things about your post. Ignore the harsh commenter. Say more good things about your post. Ignore the harsh commenter. Say more good things about your post!
- #4, Watch as the harsh commenter, staved of jet fuel, fades away.
Fifth: Celebrate — we toasted our success at happy our. And were totally ready for the next troll. You can too. So invite an ally, a friend, a colleague. Share with another good woman or two, so you can both get what you want from your careers. Invite her to join our growing tribe of amazing women leaders. Go-getters who want to leave frustration behind, are tired of not getting the respect your deserve, not being seen, heard, hired or promoted. It’s for your future, a level or five up — and you know you need momentum on your side to get there.<br><br>
Join us HERE and get the skills and mindset that Stanford and Harvard MBAs learn, and achieve the success you deserve. Starting with our next Free Training and definitely bring a friend. Why? You’ll want Sisters with you on your journey.
Join us at http://dorothykuhn.com/training
Cheers to you,
PS – Next week’s topic will blow you away!