These qualities, so embodied, do I revere. Happy International Women’s Day.
- Mom, from whom I learned to be curious. Entrepreneurial. Determined. Silly.
- My daughter Simone who’s loving fierceness came from the crucible’s fire, I know not where.
- My son Stefan, who’s cool patience reminds me to breeeeaathe.
- My sister Linda, from whom I got in my bones, the value of play.
- Dad, the Navy man, who taught me the price of caprice and that of war.
- The Sisters of The Little Flower, Great Mills, Maryland, who taught us the terror of the dire combination of religion and politics.
- Joe, the Eagle, from whom I learned not only the #1 Rule, “Don’t be a d**k”, but the #2 Rule “When unsure, see Rule #1”
- Congresswoman Barbara Jordan of Texas, from whom I learned the imperative of inspired determination, regardless the odds.
- Dr. Madame Marie Curie, who shared the power of focus through her research and example.
- Victoria Woodhull, first woman to run for U.S. President, 1872 — even when women were still denied the vote. That’s some hutzpah!
- Senator Elizabeth Warren, for her humor, determination and fearlessness
- Malala Yousafzai, for her quiet power, held in an unflinching gaze.
- Pope Francis and The Dalai Lama, who amaze me
- Hafiz, the great Sufi poet of centuries past, who lifts my soul to the heavens.
Who inspires you?